CALL FOR PAPERS
5th ILNU NATIONAL STUDENTS CONFERENCE
“INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW”
FEBRUARY 19, 2016
INSTITUTE OF LAW, NIRMA UNIVERSITY, AHMEDABAD (GUJARAT) INDIA
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE:
Centre for International Humanitarian Law Studies, Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) is organising the fifth edition of its annual flagship event – National Students conference on “International Humanitarian Law” in association with International Committee on Red Cross on February 19th, 2016
The nature of armed conflict has changed to a large extent in the present time. It is no more limited to the use of force between two or more states or between state and an identifiable non-state groups present within and across borders. The contours of armed conflict has been expanded to also include transnational asymmetric warfare which pose enormous challenges in the application and enforcement of International Humanitarian Law. However, the changing nature of armed conflicts has important implications for the continuing relevance of international humanitarian law as the legal system governing the conduct of the parties.
The conference would showcase a platform for interaction of minds from eminent personalities, students, organizations and every stakeholder having tincture of interest.
To encourage the young scholars, the best papers will be rewarded and selected papers, based on the merit, would be published in an edited volume having ISBN No.
Nirma University has been established in the year 2003 as a statutory university under Gujarat State Act at the initiative of the Nirma Education & Research Foundation (NERF). The University is also recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 2(f) of UGC Act. Nirma University has been accredited Grdae A by NAAC in 2015. Nirma University is a member of Common Wealth University Association and also of Association of Indian Universities. Padmashri Dr. Karsanbhai K. Patel, Chairman, Nirma Group of Companies and Chairman, NERF is the President of the University.
INSTITUTE OF LAW
Institute of Law (www.nirmauni.ac.in/law) was established with a vision to promote excellence and set up high standards in the field of legal education. The Institute emphasizes on the all-round development of its students and it aims at not only producing good professionals, but also good and worthy citizens of a great country aiding in its overall progress and development.
It endeavours to treat every student and individual, to recognize their potential and to ensure that they receive the best preparation and training for achieving their career ambition. It offers two different five-year integrated undergraduate law programmes, LL.M. programme with specialization in Business Law, Legal Pedagogy and Science, Technology and Law, and Doctrinal Research (Ph.D.) programme.
To make the Institute a centre of excellence on the legal education map of India, it aims at providing world class facilities to impart training and conduct research in the field of Law. Currently the Institute has seven research centres in the field of ‘Law and Governance’, ‘International Humanitarian Law’, ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution’, ‘Environmental Law’, ‘Corporate Research’, ‘Criminal Law and Justice’ and ‘Intellectual Property Rights’.
THE OBJECTIVE OF CONFERENCE:
1. To initiate a dialogue amongst various stakeholders, including senior level policy makers, academicians and practitioners;
2. To discuss the contemporary challenges in the area of International Humanitarian Law and solutions thereof.
THEMES OF THE CONFERENCE:
1. Increased attacks on humanitarian workers and humanitarian aid
2. Targeting of cultural property
3. New Weapons technology and IHL
4. Conflation of armed conflict and terrorism
5. The applicability and ramifications for International humanitarian law in Syria and Iraq
6. Challenges in enforcement and accountability for violation of IHL in South Asian Countries
7. The role of Non-State actors in taking forward the humanitarian dialogue
8. Syrian Crisis and European Refugee Crisis
Abstract Submission By: 15th January, 2016
Paper Submission By: 08th February, 2016
The soft copy of the contribution, as attachments in MS Word format (.doc) or (.docx), must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GUIDELINES FOR THE PAPER SUBMISSION:
1. An abstract should be typed in TIMES NEW ROMAN 12 Font Size with 1.5 spacing (Title in 15 Font Size)
2. Abstract (not exceeding 200 words) should reach latest by, 15th January, 2016 in Soft Copy. The Final paper (not exceeding 3000 words) should reach latest by, 08th February, 2016 in Soft Copy.
3. The citation should strictly conform to the rules in The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (19th ed.).
4. Submission should include separate Title Page which clearly indicates the name(s) of the author(s), complete mailing address (es), Telephone No. and e-mail address (es)
5. The text of the full paper and abstract must include title of the paper, but must not include the name(s) of the author(s) as the papers will be blind reviewed.
6. Acceptance of the Abstract would be notified within 5 days of the receipt of the same. The complete paper should reach us latest by 08th February, 2015.
7. Only original unpublished work is sought. Any proposal submitted to present identical or substantially similar work already published under review for any other publication will not be considered.
8. Three best papers will be rewarded.
9. Selected articles shall be published in a book (Conference Proceedings) with ISBN No. and a copy of the book as well as a certificate of publication shall be given to each selected author.
10. All submission has to be made on the following email id: email@example.com.
Registration fees for the National Students’ Conference On International Humanitarian Law shall be Rs. 500/- which should be payable by Demand Draft in favor of ‘Institute of Law, Nirma University’ payable at Ahmedabad.
The registration fee is inclusive of participation, reading materials and food.
Details of the accommodation will be provided soon.